On one hand, I absolutely love this time of year. If you’re anything like me, you’re excited to plan out what you want to achieve this year. There’s just something so freeing about knowing you can start over with a clean slate.
BUT, part of me also hates this time of year because of the harmful messages about food and our bodies that we are literally bombarded with. The weight loss industry is worth over $60 billion dollars/year on the premise that you are “not okay” and need to be “fixed”. It’s interesting to think about it this way. The diet industry creates a problem by convincing you that you need to change your body. Then, they pretend to have the solutions to your “problem” (and they were the ones who created this fake problem!).
So please, I am begging you, DO NOT MAKE DIETING OR WEIGHT LOSS YOUR NEW YEAR’S resolution! You were put on this planet for so much more than a life devoted to shrinking your body. Mind you, Diets don’t even work and lead to weight cycling which is actually associated with increased mortality risk and inflammation. Imagine the amazing things you’d make space for this year if you let go of constantly thinking about food and your body.
So instead of dieting or trying to lose weight this year, I’d like to invite you to consider some of the resolutions below that will help you make peace with food and your body.
And as a bonus, you’re health will also likely improve because approaches to health that encourage body acceptance, listening to your body, and active embodiment instead of structured exercise are associated with statistically and clinically relevant improvements in physiological measures (e.g., blood pressure, blood lipids), health behaviors (e.g., eating and activity habits), and psychosocial outcomes (e.g.; self-esteem and body image).
You don’t have to commit to all of these; just choose a few that resonate with you and focus on those 🙂
16 New Year’s Resolutions to End the War with Food and Your Body
1. I will not partake in any diets, cleanses or detoxes (well there’s one cleanse I’m cool with…see below).
2. I will listen to my body’s hunger, fullness and satiety cues to guide my eating.
3. I will read one of these books:
4. I will take an online course to help me make peace with food and my body.
My Introduction to Intuitive Eating course is the perfect place to start! Or, if you’re really ready to commit to ending the war on food and your body, sign up for my Intuitive Eating Masterclass wait list!
5. I will work with an intuitive eating counselor.
6. I will do a social media cleanse and will unfollow anyone who shifts my mood towards negativity or makes me feel less than. I will follow accounts that empower me and share body positive messages.
Here are some Instagram accounts I recommend following:
- @sunnythymesblog (yours truly)
7. I will meditate X times per week.
8. I will break X# of my food rules per month.
9. I will eat at least 1 meal per day mindfully with no distractions. No TV, no phone, etc.
10. I will practice daily affirmations like:
“I choose to release myself from diet mentality thoughts that are no longer serving me.”
“I honor and trust my body and its needs by eating foods that are pleasurable, satisfying and nourishing to me and I give myself permission to enjoy all foods.”
Want more affirmations? Download my list of 67 affirmations to help you make peace with food and your body!
11. I will give up talking negatively about food and bodies (including my own).
12. I will throw away my scale because that number tells me absolutely nothing about my health or worth.
13. I will find ways to move body that feel joyful and emotionally satisfying to me.
14. I will listen to my body when it tells me it needs rest.
15. I will write down 5 things I am grateful for every day.
16. I will choose self-care over self-control.
If you’re ready to get clear on your goals and dreams, you can download my 6 Step Process for Setting Intuitive New Year’s Resolutions!
What resolutions/goals are you going to commit to? Let’s chat in the comments below!!