This 20 Minute Lentil and Spinach Curry is thick and creamy, loaded with flavor and easy to make. It’s made with chickpeas, lentils, spinach, onion, coconut milk and spices all in one pot. It’s the ideal meal when you want a hearty, flavorful meal in a hurry.
This Lentil and Spinach curry is my new “I’m hangry and need a hearty, filling meal ASAP” go to. Honestly, it takes 20 minutes to make and I can’t tell you how excited I was to discover I could make an amazing, hearty curry in 20 minutes.
I was super hungry one night but really wanted a nourishing, hearty meal so I decided I was going to make a lentil and spinach curry (in a hurry). I started making lentils on the stove and completely overcooked them (anyone else seriously struggle to cook lentils on the stove?). At this point I was getting real hangry. I was ravaging through the freezer for anything to eat and found a frozen bag of my boyfriend’s lentils and chickpeas from Trader Joe’s. YASSS this was my answer.
These are the main ingredients in this lentil and spinach curry recipe:
- Coconut milk
- Tomato Paste
- Frozen Melodious Blend of lentils and chickpeas from Trader Joe’s
- Spices (turmeric, ginger, red pepper flakes, cumin)
To make it, I just sautéed onions and garlic in olive oil in a large pan. Next, I added tomato paste and lots of aromatic spices. Next, I added a can of coconut milk and the frozen lentils and chickpeas. THAT’S IT. You can serve this curry with garlic naan and rice or even on it’s own.
If you want to serve it with rice or naan, and keep things super easy, you can get frozen jasmine rice and garlic naan also at Trader Joe’s. Or, you can quickly whip up some rice in a rice cooker (this one makes my life SO much easier).
Want more curry? Check out these recipes:
- Kale and Sweet Potato Lentil Curry
- Crockpot Curry with Red Lentils and Peppers
- Creamy Coconut Milk Chicken Tikka Masala
- Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry with Red Peppers
If you want access to our exclusive free resource library, click the button below. You’ll get access to my FREE 3 Step Guide to Food and Body Freedom, ebooks, intuitive eating guides & more!Print
This 20 Minute Lentil and Spinach Curry is super thick and creamy, loaded with flavor and easy to make. It’s made with chickpeas, lentils, spinach, onion, coconut milk and spices!
- 1/3 diced red onion
- 1 large diced garlic clove
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 bag of Trader Joe’s frozen melodious blend (garbanzo beans and lentils)
- Fresh cilantro
- Saute onions and garlic in a large skillet with olive oil over medium to high heat until onions soften.
- Add spices and tomato paste; stir well. Add coconut milk. Reduce heat to medium. Let cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring often, then add bag of frozen garbanzo beans and lentils. Cook, stirring often, until veggies are cooked through. Turn down temperature and add spinach when it starts to bubble/thicken. Stir/cook until spinach is wilted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with fresh cilantro. Serve with naan and rice.
- Kale works great in this recipe too if that’s what you have on hand instead of spinach!
- To reheat leftovers (for best results), re-heat on the stove with oil. Add water or almond milk until desired consistency is achieved (it gets really thick after sitting in the fridge so the liquid loosens it back up).
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: lentil curry, lentil and spinach curry, easy lentil curry, chickpea curry