You need this Creamy Coconut Milk Chicken Tikka Masala in your life! Imagine smothering a warm piece of garlicky naan bread in a creamy, tikka masala sauce filled with juicy chucks of flavorful chicken. I am currently dreaming about reliving the leftovers again tomorrow.
How to make chicken tikka masala with coconut milk:
- Marinate chicken with tikka masala seasoning and coconut milk for about 12-24 hours
- Bake the chicken for about 30 minutes.
- Saute onions and garlic in ghee or butter then add tikka masala seasoning and stir until fragrant. Add tomatoes and cook until they are soft then blend the sauce mixture.
- Transfer the sauce back to the pan and add coconut milk and cooked chicken.
- Add arrowroot powder to thicken and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
How to serve chicken tikka masala:
You can serve it on it’s own or with rice and naan. I love to top it with lots of fresh cilantro.
What’s in tikka masala seasoning?
Spanish paprika, cumin, coriander, ginger, chiles, garlic, turmeric, black pepper, black cardamom, charnushka, spearmint, cloves, mace, cinnamon and bay leaves. I used Savory Spice Shop’s Tikka Masala seasoning in this recipe! It made the recipe super quick and easy but feel free to experiment with making your own. Here’s a recipe you can try: Tikka Masala Spice Mix Recipe.
If you want access to our exclusive free resource library, click the button below. You’ll get access to my FREE Introduction to Intuitive Eating Online Course, eCookbooks, intuitive eating guides & more!
Want more curry? Check out these recipes:
- 20 Minute Lentil and Spinach Curry
- Kale and Sweet Potato Lentil Curry
- Crockpot Curry with Red Lentils and Peppers
- Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry with Red Peppers
You need this Creamy Coconut Milk Chicken Tikka Masala in your life! Imagine smothering a warm piece of garlicky naan bread in a creamy, tikka-licious (yep i just made that word up) sauce filled with juicy chucks of flavorful chicken. I am already dreaming about reliving the leftovers again tomorrow.
For the marinade:
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp tikka masala seasoning
- 1/2 can coconut milk
For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp ghee or butter
- 1/2 medium white onion
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1.5 cans coconut milk
- 5 tsp tikki masala seasoning
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp salt
- cayenne pepper and extra salt to taste
- White rice, brown rice, cauliflower rice, or quinoa
- Garlic naan
- Fresh cilantro
- Cut chicken breasts into small to medium sized cubes. Marinate with the seasoning and coconut milk for about 12-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake the chicken (in the marinade) for about 30 minutes (or until cooked through).
- Meanwhile, dice the onion and saute in the ghee or butter on medium heat for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and reduce heat to medium-low. Stir and cook for about 2 more minutes. Add tikka masala seasoning and stir until fragrant.
- Cut the tomatoes into small pieces add it them to the pan. Cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a blender and blend until pureed.
- Transfer back to pan and immediately add coconut milk and stir until smooth.
- Add the cooked chicken (excluding the marinade juices) to the sauce.
- Add the arrowroot powder and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Serve over rice with garlic naan. Top with lots of fresh cilantro.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: tikka masala, chicken tikka masala, coconut milk