Want to learn more about Intuitive Eating?Click here to download my free 3 step guide to food and body freedom (BONUS: free audio guide included)!
How to make a pizza skillet:Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then, roll out your dough into a circle and raise the edges to form a crust. Place the pizza crust in a large skillet and make sure it takes up the whole pan. Bake the crust by itself for about 15 minutes until it’s cooked through (start checking at about 7 minutes because all ovens/crusts are different).Next, brush the crust generously with olive oil (especially the outer ring). Add whatever toppings you like. For this pizza, I used mozzarella and spinach then topped it with fresh basil, parmesan cheese and a goat cheese pesto swirl after baking. Depending on how much cheese and toppings you use, you’ll need to bake it for about 8-10 minutes (until cheese is melted) then broil for 1-2.
How to make goat cheese pesto:Combine goat cheese, garlic, fresh basil, cashews and olive oil in food processor or blender and blend until smooth and creamy. This pesto is extra rich from the goat cheese and loaded with flavor. Trust me, you’ll want extras for dipping.What dough should you use for homemade pizza?Trader Joe’s pizza crust is by far my favorite and is super cheap (just over $1). They have 3 flavors (white, wheat and herb) and they’re all delicious and easy to use. You can also store them in the freezer and unthaw them when you’re ready to use them. If you want to make homemade crust yourself, you can try this easy homemade pizza dough recipe.
What sauce should you use for homemade pizza?I’m not a huge fan of red pizza sauce but I know most people love it so that’s always a classic option. Or, you could use olive oil and garlic, alfredo sauce or homemade pesto like my arugula basil pesto or sundried tomato pesto. My favorite pizza sauce is pesto and the options for how you can make it are endless. Typically pesto is made with basil, pine nuts, garlic and olive oil but you can pretty much use any herbs/nuts to make a really delicious pesto sauce!For this pizza, I used olive oil as the base and then added a goat cheese pesto swirl on top that is extra rich and flavorful.Did you love this pizza? Let me know in the comments below!Want more pizza recipes? Here ya go:
- Chicken Veggie Pesto Pizza
- Veggie Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Pizza
- Butternut Squash Kale Pizza with Homemade Nut Ricotta
This Funky Pizza Skillet with Goat Cheese Pesto Swirl is my favorite pizza of all time. Mozzarella, spinach and fresh basil on a perfectly baked olive oil crust with the yummiest goat cheese pesto swirl!
For the goat cheese pesto swirl:
- 1 tbsp goat cheese
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 tbsp very tightly packed fresh basil
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup olive oil
For the pizza:
- 1 white pizza crust (I use Trader Joe’s)
- 1 cup shredded mozarella cheese
- 3/4 cup spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Flatten and spread the dough into a circle and create a thicker rim for the crust.
- Bake the dough in a 12 inch skillet by itself for about 15 minutes (until crust is mostly cooked through).
- Meanwhile, prepare the Goat Cheese Pesto.
- Brush the entire crust with olive oil generously (especially the outer rim). Top with cheese and spinach. Bake for about 8-10 minutes until cheese is melted then broil for 1-2 minutes until cheese bubbles start forming and browning.
- Top with fresh basil and parmesan cheese. Drizzle with the Goat Cheese Pesto. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Since all ovens and pizza crusts are different, start checking the crust when it’s baking by itself after about 7 minutes. This white crust takes about 15 minutes but I know wheat is typically much quicker.
- Use the extra goat cheese pesto swirl for dipping. Trust me, you’ll want more than just a drizzle!
- To brown the crust and give it an even more buttery flavor, brush it with more olive oil (or butter) about half way through baking the pizza.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American, Italian
Keywords: pesto pizza, white pizza, basil pizza, homemade pesto