These Hello Dolly Bars (aka 7 layer bars, magic bars) are insanely rich and chocolatey. They’re made with a buttery granola crust topped with layers of chocolate chips, butterscotch and coconut all drizzled with condensed coconut milk to make these bars gooey and moist!
My family has been making hello dolly bars for Thanksgiving and Christmas ever since I can remember. They are seriously THE BEST HOLIDAY DESSERT. They’re rich, gooey, moist and chocolatey….like what more can you ask for?! I have no idea where the name hello dolly bars came from but they are also known as hello dollies, seven layer bars, magic bars, or holly dollies (if you’re like my boyfriend who makes up his own words for just about everything).
What are hello dolly bars?
Hello dolly bars (sometimes called magic bars or seven layer bars) are basically cookie bars that have a graham cracker crust layered with chocolate, butterscotch and coconut. The bars are drizzled with condensed milk which makes them insanely rich and gooey. For this recipe, I used Purely Elizabeth Original Granola for the crust to give it a bit more density and texture. Also, the flavor of this granola paired with the chocolate, butterscotch and coconut is life changing.
How to make hello dolly bars:
To make the crust, mix granola (that has been pulsed in a food processor) with butter and coconut flour. Bake the crust by itself for about 10-15 minutes on 350 degrees. Let cool then add layers of chocolate, butterscotch and shredded coconut. Lastly, drizzle with condensed coconut milk and bake until the coconut on top is golden brown.
How to make condensed coconut milk:
Bring a can of coconut milk to a boil in a pot, whisking often. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 30-45 minutes (until liquid is reduced by half). Allow to cool completely before using. I used coconut milk in this recipe because I love the extra hint of coconut flavor. If you can’t find it at the store and don’t feel like making it, you can always use regular condensed milk.
Can hello dolly bars be frozen?
Yes they freeze really well; just make sure to store them in an airtight container. When you’re ready to eat them, you can either microwave them or let them sit out until they are at room temperature. Since we always have these bars around the holidays, it’s so nice to be able to prep them in advance so you don’t have to cook a zillion things in one day.
If you aren’t already sold on these Hello Dolly Bars and need a good reason to eat dessert, you should check out my post with 5 Reasons Why You Can Eat Dessert Every Day. It’s based on my intuitive approach to eating (listening to YOUR body to guide your food and exercise choices).
If you want to learn more about intuitive eating, you can download my free 3 Step Guide to Food and Body Freedom (bonus: free audio version included).Print
These Hello Dolly Bars (aka 7 layer bars, magic bars) are insanely rich and chocolatey. Buttery granola crust topped with layers of chocolate chips, butterscotch and coconut all drizzled with condensed coconut milk to make these bars ultra rich and moist!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pulse granola in a food processor until the crumbs are pretty fine. Transfer to a bowl and mix with room temperature butter and coconut flour. Work the butter and flour into the granola using your hands. Mix well.
- Line 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper. Spread out the granola crust mixture and pat it down. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes until firm.
- Bake the crust by itself for about 10-15 minutes then let cool completely before adding toppings.
- Top with a layer of chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and coconut. Repeat.
- Drizzle condensed coconut milk evenly across the top layer (it should seep down into the bars) and bake for 30 minutes (until coconut on top is golden brown).
- Condensed milk can be substituted for the condensed coconut milk if you prefer.
- You can also make your own condensed coconut milk by bringing a can of coconut milk to a boil, whisking often. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 30-45 minutes (until liquid is reduced by half). Allow to cool completely before using.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: hello dollies, hello dolly bars, 7 layer bars, magic bars, holiday desserts