This Kale and Sweet Potato Lentil Curry is sooo tasty and cozy and will just make you all warm and fuzzy inside. This recipe insanely easy to make in a slow cooker/crockpot.
Lately, I have been loving warming, soupy, cozy meals like this Kale and Sweet Potato Lentil Curry. It just makes me feel really grounded and energized. Also, the spices in this curry really help get my digestive system flowing and help with bloating. Especially the ginger, cumin, cilantro and fennel!
This lentil curry is pretty mild (aka not too spicy). However, you can easily crank up the heat with some extra crushed red pepper flakes.
How do you make lentil curry in the crockpot/slow cooker?
Basically, you just put lentils, coconut milk, any other veggies/foods you want (like kale, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, etc.), and lots of spices. Depending how much other veggies/foods you put, you may need to add a little more liquid like coconut or almond milk. Then, you just stir it up in a crockpot and cook on low for like 5-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours.
How do you thicken lentil curry?
My favorite way to thicken curry is with arrowroot powder. It doesn’t really have any flavor and works really well. Arrowroot powder is a starchy flour extracted from the root of a tropical plant. You can always use tapioca starch or cornstarch as other options.
What should you serve with lentil curry?
My favorite way to serve lentil curry is over rice with some warm, fluffy garlic naan bread. You can also serve it over quinoa or millet (or whatever your favorite grain is). I also love to top it with fresh cilantro because fresh herbs just take it to another level!!
If you love Indian food like me, you should definitely try these recipes too:
Want to be part of the Sunny Thymes Tribe?
Click here to get access to our FREE resource library with eCookbooks, intuitive eating guides, cheatsheets and more!Print
This Kale and Sweet Potato Lentil Curry is sooo tasty and cozy and will just make you all warm and fuzzy inside. This Indian recipe insanely easy to make in a slow cooker/crockpot. Just put the ingredients in and turn it on!! I love serving it over rice with some fluffy naan bread!
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups packed kale
- 3 small sweet potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1 large diced garlic clove
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp black peper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tbsp packed fresh cilantro (and extra for topping)
- Put everything in the crockpot and cook on low for about 5 hours.
- Top with additional fresh cilantro and serve with rice and naan.
- I soaked my lentils in water for a few hours before cooking to make them easier to digest. However, this isn’t necessary….it’s totally up to you!
- If you wan’t to speed up the process you can cook on high for around 2-3 hours instead of low for 5-6.
Keywords: lentil curry, sweet potato curry, easy crockpot dinner