This super DELICIOUS fall inspired Thai Butternut Squash Lentil Curry is extra thick, creamy spicy, sweet, and served over rice. Basically the definition of a cozy fall meal!
How to make Thai curry:
First, you combine butternut squash, lentils, coconut milk, garlic, peanut butter, sriracha and other spices (turmeric, red pepper flakes, ginger, etc.) in a crockpot. Then, you cook on low for about 5 hours until it’s thickened and the butternut squash is cooked through. Lastly, serve it with rice and naan and lots of fresh cilantro on top. I’m not going to pretend to be an expert on Thai curry because I’m not. However, this is how I made this Lentil and Butternut Squash Thai Curry because I think you will love it! It’s insanely easy to make.
Are Indian curry and Thai curry the same?
No, but they can definitely have similarities. When I think of Indian curries, I think of spices like turmeric, coriander, cumin, cardamom, chili peppers while Thai curries have more notes of fresh herbs like lemongrass, garlic and cilantro and more of a spice up front. Indian curries tend to be more like a stew whereas Thai curries are more like soup.
This Lentil and Butternut Squash Thai Curry is really a blend of Indian and Thai curries. It’s thick like Indian curry but the peanut butter and sriracha really bring the Thai flavors to the front. It has turmeric like most Indian curries but is also made with coconut milk like most Thai curries. Basically, it’s the best of both worlds.
Want more curry? Check out these recipes:
- 20 Minute Lentil and Spinach Curry
- Kale and Sweet Potato Lentil Curry
- Crockpot Curry with Red Lentils and Peppers
- Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry with Red Peppers
This super DELICIOUS fall inspired thai butternut squash lentil curry is extra thick, creamy, spicy, sweet, and served over rice. Basically the definition of a cozy fall meal!
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups butternut squash (cut into very small cubes)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 large diced garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/4 cup sriracha
- Fresh cilantro, for topping
- Rice, for serving
- Naan bread, for serving
- Combine all ingredients in a crockpot and stir well.
- Cook on low for about 5 hours until thickened and butternut squash is tender/cooked through.
- I do not recommend cooking this curry on high because the lentils cook faster than the butternut squash. Cook on low and start checking the consistency and tenderness of the butternut squash after about 4 hours.
Keywords: thai curry, lentil curry, butternut squash curry, red lentil curry